S.S. BRAZIL, aerial view with tugs, 1948
emulsion on photographic paper
overall: 8 x 10 in.
8x10 photograph made ca.1948. Image is print of the Moore-McCormack Lines' new luxury liner S.S. BRAZIL. Aerial view of the S.S. BRAZIL with tugboats maneuvering the liner into a dock. The S.S. BRAZIL, ex- VIRGINIAN, was a 538' commercial liner built in 1905 by the Alexander Stephen & Sons, Ltd. for the Allan Line of Great Britain, December, 1914. She was commissioned as an armed merchant cruiser in 10th cruiser squadron in 1917 and transferred to the Canadian Pacific. She was bought in 1920 by the Swedish American Line and renamed DROTTNINGHOLM. In 1939-1945 she served as a Red Cross prisoner exchange ship and in March, 1946 resumed passenger services. Sold in 1948 to Home Lines for South American Service and was renamed BRAZIL. Renamed HOMELAND in 1951. She was scrapped in 1955 in Trieste. CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, General Collection.
Mystic Seaport, General Collection