PT 103 launching / Elco / group
black-and -white negative; safety negativePHOTOGRAPHS - SOFT NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NJ, Bayonne
May 16, 1942
safety film, Kodak #38
overall: 4 x 5 in.
4X5 safety negative photographed by Rosenfeld and Sons off Bayonne, New Jersey May 126,1942. Image of Elco officials shaking hands with Naval Officers during the time of the launching ceremony. PT-103 was the first boat of the new eighty-foot class of Elco boats completed and launched into the East River in Bayonne, New Jersey. This new class of boats were 3' longer and heavier than the previous PT-20 class boats, and were an improved design with additional strengthening of the hull. This enhanced design gave the boats better "sea-keeping" qualities and allowed them to carry a heavier weapon load. Elco went on to manufacture 326 boats of this PT-103 class from 1942-1945. PT-103 was originally outfitted with (2).50 cal Browning machine guns, (2) Mark VIII 21" torpedoes on roll-off racks and (8) Mark VI depth charges. Many boats of this class modified their armament based on torpedo type availability, e.g. two or four torpedo tubes, and the operational desire for various cannons, e.g. 40mm et al that were installed or retro-fitted when they went into service. PT-103 was powered by (3) Packard 4M 2500 Marine gasoline engines rated at 1200 hp. It was capable of reaching speeds of 43kts. PT-103 was first assigned to Motor Torpedo Sqaudron 5 (MTBRon5) under command of CDR Henry Farrow, USN. This Squadron was initially placed in the Panama Sea Frontier from September 1942 until the spring of 1943 when it was then shipped to the Solomon Islands. (NavSource online Archives) In this region, Squadron 5 served at Rendova, Bella Lavella, Treasury, Bouganiville, Green and Emirau. At the end of 1944, the squadron was decommissioned and its remaining boats were used to replenish other operational depleted squadrons. PT-103 was transferred on February 15, 1945 to Squadron 18 (MTRBon18) under command of LT Edward MacCauley,III, USNR. This squadron was assigned to the Southwest Pacific and saw action at Dreger Harbor which became the main supply base in New Guinea. Action areas in New Guinea also included Aitape, Hollandia, Wakde, and Mios Woendi, and Manus in the Admiralites, and at Morotai in the Halmahera. It was also based at Kana Kopa, New Guinea, and in San Pedro Bay in the Philippines. PT-103 was stripped and destroyed at the end of the war in the Pacific by U.S. forces on NOvember 4, 1945 at Samar, Philippines.Stamped neg. sleeve: "103938F 5/16/42 / Launching of PT-103 at Elco / [Box] 4728". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
PT #103 motor torpedo boat, Elco
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection