Exterior of Jacob Ruppert Brewery at 1639 3rd Avenue, Manhattan, New York City, 1938
copy negative; black-and -white negativePHOTOGRAPHS - SOFT NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, Manhattan
8 x 10 x 0 in.
8x10 copy safety negative made by Rosenfeld and Sons on July 25, 1938. Image of exterior of Jacob Ruppert Brewery at 1639 3rd Avenue, New York in 1914. View of the exterior of a large building with the sign on it, “JACOB RUPPERT / BREWERY / EST. 1884” originally photographed in 1914. The photo was taken from across Third Avenue and East 92nd Street. The lower building at the right with the pedimented front was replaced soon after the end of Prohibition in 1933 was part of the Brew House Extension (Building E). Jacob Ruppert, Sr. started the brewery in the smaller pediment building in 1867 and it was the only building on the block other than a few scattered shanties amid undeveloped land as Manhattan was only developed up to about East 57th Street at that time. The railroad tracks running past buildings is the Third Avenue El train that was later demolished in 1955. The corner building closer to the viewer is the Brew House (also known as Building D). The taller building behind it is Building C which housed the fermenting tanks, laboratory and some administrative offices. Typed on original negative sleeve: “53690 7/25/38 / 2496-18 / Sutton News Service- 424 Mad Ave, City / Copy of photo at studio” and negative notation: “23047-F7”. CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection