Telephone box, Camp Merritt, 1917
glass negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NJ, Bergen; USA, NJ, Demarest
overall: 5 x 7 in.; 12.7 x 17.78 cm
5 x 7 glass plate negative taken by Rosenfeld and Sons at the site of Camp Merritt, in Demarest, NJ. Close, center view of a telephone pole and junction box. Camp Merritt broke ground August 20, 1917, and while construction took place, workers were housed in tents set up at a site in Demarest, NJ. The camp would be located in Bergen County with its center at the intersection of Madison Ave. and Knickerbocker Rd., occupying 770 acres. (Reference: John Spring, "Remembering Camp Merritt"). Handwritten on original negative sleeve: "Camp Merritt". Taken as a part of the New York Telephone Company series.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection