Tin and wood trunk, circa 1870


circa 1870
wood; tin
overall: 18-7/8 x 28 x 15 in.

Trunk; Tin and wood trunk, circa 1870; from the collection of Captain Richard C. Mears (1829-1899); wood and tin trunk with a hinged, dome lid, featuring sections of both plain tin and patterned, pressed tin; leather straps on the sides have since been ripped or broken, and multiple tags are still hung and pasted to the outside of the box; interior of the box has a tray that is able to be lifted out, with a small separate compartment that is covered with a cardboard lid and secures with a leather strap; on the interior removable tray's section with the lid is a sticker decorated in elaborate pattern of blue, red and white; in the center of trunk's lid is a sticker of an illustrated portrait of a lady in a hat and dress, with images of tropical plants, rivers, mountains, and setting sun in background; bottom of trunk has four small wheels, and three wooden beams running horizontally across it; stamped, painted, or stenciled on bottom is "28 Crystal 7", handwritten on one of the wooden beams "A O T (?)/ 2.50", and the remains of a tag that was nailed to the bottom on which was handwritten "N.Y.", and printed "Successor to/ [?] Henry Runcie".


Related Objects

thumbnail Pressed tin pin

Related Subjects

Luggage tags