Stevens Hotel, Chicago, Illinois, 1925-1926
black-and -white glass plate negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, New York
emulsion on glass
overall: 3 1/4 x 4 in.; image: 2 1/2 x 3 in.
3 1/4" x 4" emulsion on glass negative copied by Rosenfeld and Sons. Image is of the Stevens Hotel of Chicago, Illinois, which was owned by James W. Stevens. He opened his Michigan Avenue hotel in 1927 and the Depression of 1929 devastated his family. The Stevens Hotel is currently known as the Chicago Hilton and Towers. The emulsion side of the negative is outlined with black paper and taped with red tape at the edges to a secondary glass piece to protect the emulsion. Object has a handwritten red and white paper caption glued at the bottom and a small, round, red dot in the left corner at the bottom. Image is not original but copied by the Rosenfelds from possibly postcards, old books, etc. The Rosenfeld given numbers on each object corresponds with the dates of being copied as ca. 1923. The negative glass is labeled and adhered, using tape, on a small, white piece of paper handwritten in ink down the lower right as the "Stevens Hotel". Handwritten paper caption glued at bottom of image reads: "Stevens Hotel - Chicago 1925-26. / Graham Anderson, Probst and White - Architects / 17151 - Rosenfeld" and handwritten in red pencil, "23". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection