First National Bank Building, Chicago, 1896 of after
black-and -white negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, New York
emulsion on glass
overall: 3 1/4 x 4 in.; image: 2 x 2 in.
3 1/4" x 4" emulsion on glass negative copied by Rosenfeld and Sons. Image is an exterior view of the building called the First National Bank Building which housed The First National Bank, at 38 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Ill. in 1896. Daniel Hudson Burnham and Company designed many well known buildings in Chicago at that time and became a nationally acclaimed architect. The building was typical of the transition from the commercial to the classical style. The image is outlined with black paper and taped with red tape at the edges to a secondary glass piece to protect the emulsion. Object has a handwritten red and white paper caption glued at the right side and a small, round, red dot in the lower left corner. Image is not original but copied by the Rosenfelds from possibly postcards, old books, etc. The Rosenfeld given numbers on each object corresponds with the dates of being copied as ca. 1923. The handwritten paper caption reads: "First Natl. Bank Bld. / Chicago - ? - D.H. Burnham / Arch. / 16848 - Rosenfeld" and handwritten in red pencil, "23". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection