Chicago Club (ex. Chicago Art Institute), view of building, 1882
black-and -white negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, New York
emulsion on glass
overall: 3 1/4 x 4 in.; image: 3 x 2 in.
3 1/4" x 4" emulsion on glass negative copied by Rosenfeld and Sons. Image is an exterior view of the building housing The Chicago Club, founded in 1869, a private business and social club located in downtown Chicago, Illinois. Its membership has included many of Chicago's most prominent businessmen, politicians, and families. The Chicago Club moved into the old Chicago Art Institute building in 1882. The image is outlined with black paper and taped with red tape at the edges to a secondary glass piece to protect the emulsion. Object has a handwritten red and white paper caption glued at the right side and a small, round, red dot in the lower left corner. Image is not original but copied by the Rosenfelds from possibly postcards, old books, etc. The Rosenfeld given numbers on each object corresponds with the dates of being copied as ca. 1923. The handwritten paper caption reads: "Chicago Club - old Art Institute -1882. / Demolished 1928 / Burnham & Root - Arch. / 16837 - Rosenfeld" and handwritten in red pencil, "23". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection