Field Museum, Chicago, Illinois, undate negative
black-and -white negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, New York
emulsion on glass
overall: 3 1/4 x 4 in.;image: 2 1/4 x 3 in.
3 1/4" x 4" emulsion on glass negative copied by Rosenfeld and Sons. Image is an exterior view of the building called the Field Museum. The Field Museum building is located at 1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois and was built and founded in 1893. The architectural firm used was Daniel H. Burnham & Co. and later Burnham, Graham & Co. The architectural style is called Classical Revival. The museum was originally called the Columbian Museum of Chicago. In 1905, the museum's name was changed to Field Museum of Natural History to honor the museum's first major benefactor, Marshall Field (1834-1906).
The image is outlined with black paper and taped with red tape at the edges to a secondary glass piece to protect the emulsion. Object has a handwritten red and white paper caption glued along the right and a small, round, red dot in the lower left corner. Image is not original but copied by the Rosenfelds from possibly postcards, old books, etc. The Rosenfeld given numbers on each object corresponds with the dates of being copied as ca. 1923. The handwritten paper caption reads: "Field Museum - Chicago / Graham, Anderson, Probst + White - Arch. / 18837 - Rosenfeld" and handwritten in red pencil, "23". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection