Insurance Exchange, Chicago, Illinois, 1911
black-and -white negativePHOTOGRAPHS - GLASS NEGATIVES
Rosenfeld and Sons
USA, NY, New York
emulsion on glass
overall: 3 1/4 x 4 in.;image: 2 1/2 x 2 in.
3 1/4" x 4" emulsion on glass negative copied by Rosenfeld and Sons. Image is an exterior view of the building called the Insurance Exchange Building with a dark smaller stone building to the left somewhat obscuring the larger building in back of it. The taller building is the second Insurance Exchange Building completed in 1911 by D.H. Burnham and Company and is located at 175 West Jackson Boulevard. This building was almost doubled in size in 1928 with an addition by the Graham, Anderson, Probst and White firm in the same style of architecture. The Insurance Exchange Building was at one time home to more insurance companies than any other building in the world. The image is outlined with black paper and taped with red tape at the edges to a secondary glass piece to protect the emulsion. Object has a handwritten red and white paper caption glued along the right and a small, round, red dot in the lower left corner. Image is not original but copied by the Rosenfelds from possibly postcards, old books, etc. The Rosenfeld given numbers on each object corresponds with the dates of being copied as ca. 1923. The handwritten paper caption reads: "Insurance Exchange / 1911 - Chicago ? - D.H. Burnham. / 17181 - Rosenfeld" and handwritten in red pencil, "23". CREDIT LINE: Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection.
Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection