Emigrant Landing Depot, Castle Garden, New York, circa 1868
USA, NY, New York
3-1/2 x 7 in.
Stereograph; albumen prints with rounded upper corners, mounted on flat yellow board; view of Castle Garden, New York harbor; sign above entrance reads 'COMMISSIONERS OF EMIGRATION/ OF THE/ STATE OF NEW YORK/ EMIGRANT LANDING DEPOT AND OFFICES/ CASTLE GARDEN"; printed along left margin: 'AMERICAN SCENERY"; printed along right margin "TOURISTS SERIES"; handwritten on reverse "At New York (n.Y.)/ View of a part of 'Castle Garden' also a part of the Harbor/ also a part of 'Castle William' Staten Island in the distance." [Castle Garden served as immigration station until 1891, when operations moved to Ellis Island]