Previous Record Next Record
Switch Views: Lightbox | Image List | List
"Ship Charles W. Morgan, Captain George Fred Tilton, Custodian"
H.A. Dickerman & Son
USA, MA, South Dartmouth
3-1/2 x 5-1/2 in.
Photographic postcard; port view of CHARLES W. MORGAN, ship rigged and with painted gunports, at Colonel Green's estate, South Dartmouth, MA; inset oval vignette photograph of Captain Tilton; printed at bottom "Ship Charles W. Morgan, Captain George Fred Tilton, Custodian"; on back is circular logo of publisher H.A. Dickerman & Son, Taunton, Mass.; printed caption on back, "The ship Charles W. Morgan was built in New Bedford, Mass. in 1841, and is the only whaler in existence today out of a fleet of 347 which sailed out of New Bedford. It was preserved by Colonel Edward H.R. Green as a memorial for the whaling industry, and is now lying at his estate at Round Hills, So. Dartmouth, Mass. commanded by Capt. George Fred Tilton."